Yesterday at this time I was breathing in the fresh smells of the farm, soaking up the crisp Eastern air, surrounded by pines and maples, with cows as my neighbors, my baby girl and husband at my side.
Today, I am eating lunch at my desk, surrounded by the sounds of computers and telephones, have already faced the traffic, greeted by smog and humidity, missing my family..
As we approached home last night, I felt the 'busy-ness' that we are encompassed by here in the city. Heard the noises, felt the tension of the traffic, drove by high-rise buildings, rushing, always rushing. Walking into our home, I could feel the clutter, the residual of our harried packing and proceeding week. I felt the ensuing stress of our chaotic daily lives. I had the sensation of all these 'things' literally closing in around me.
And I missed the 'space'.
I love the outdoors, the expansiveness of the forest and mountains. I love the simplicity of towns and the character of life in the country. I think I will always have a little small-town girl in me. Although I truly love all of the culture and experiences the city has to offer, and I am so grateful Garrett is receiving training in the best medical center, sometimes I just need a little space :)
- Caris, although big city girl by birth, is a small-town girl by proxy, as is claimed by her dress, loved visiting the farm her JJ grew up on-
We returned last night from our trip back east, visiting the farm in New Hampshire. (details to come :) We had a wonderful few days, full of life, full of experiences.
I am so grateful for the opportunities we have been given to travel. I really feel almost an innate need to experience all things new and all things life has to offer. Garrett and I enjoy sharing these experiences with Caris and love to teach her as we show her the wold.
I love that in Caris' short little life she has been able to experience the ocean breezes of both the Pacific and Atlantic, has felt the sand, soil, and grasses of many places between her little toes, has seen vineyards and summitted a mountain, talked to cows and watched seagulls, and has gazed at the leaves of giant redwoods, fragrant pines, ancient maples, giant oaks, and native mesquites. (have I mentioned staring at trees is her favorite activity??) She has loved every new place we have taken her and soaks up each experience with her curious little eyes.
But I also love that when she returns home to her little room, she is happy to see her butterfly pictures above her changing table and greets them with a happy squeal, talks excitedly to her art cards hanging in her crib, feels comforted by the familarity of her pink rug and hardwood floors, and rests her head peacefully in the protection of her bed.
I hope that we can continue to experience all life has to offer with our little girl. And along the way I hope that we remember to see the beauty in all places, near or far, and to experience each moment we have been given as a family. Each is precious and if we are careful to seize those moments, no matter where they are, we can experience all God has given to us in each day.
I hope that in the midst of all the clutter, all the rushing, that our daily lives in the city demands, I will remember to stop and see each moment. Trying to embed simplicity among the reality of this busy stage of life. And in doing so, carry the wide open spaces with me wherever I may be.



1 comment:
beautiful.
Post a Comment