Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fashionista

Caris loves accessories. Girl would wear her bracelets and necklaces everyday if I would allow. So on weekends, one of her favorite things to do is to hit up the accessory shelf to adorn her outfits to her heart's content. She is very specific and opinionated. And to be quite honest, it all kind of works. I have no sense of style but it seems my lil' C may have inherited what I lack. For last weekend's trip to Target, Caris insisted on both bracelets, a flower headband, and a 'braid pony' to go along with the pink dress and purple sandals she picked out on her own. I mean, who doesn't need to be fancy for a trip to Tar-get.





Caris has lately been very interested in her 'rain boots, brella, and rain jacket' since she got caught in a rainstorm at the zoo and scored a new 'brella from Susie a few months ago. Unfortunately, despite the lingering humidity, we have not had rain in quite a while and my persuasion to only wear such items when raining had left her lacking. Anytime she heard thunder and the promise of rain, she talked incessantly about her 'ladybug boots and 'brella when it rains'. And so her persistence paid off as on a rushed, stressful school morning when Caris picked out her ladybug boots to wear and put them on ready to go out the door, I gave in. And wouldn't you know girl proudly wore her rain boots all day long.




She knows what she wants, our Caris, down to the detail. This morning, after picking out the outfit she wanted to wear and getting dressed, she insisted 'I want to wear my hair long today, Mom. No ponies for school' (our typical school fixtures are ponies of the one or two variety. and yes, that is exactly how she talks these days). Then she proceeded to go pick out and put on her nice sandals on her own accord and there was no convincing her not to wear these shoes to school. So off she was, long hair and shoes on the wrong feet. Proudly independent and dressed.


Not only is Caris opinionated on what she wears, but she has taken things one step further to decide what MOM should wear. If I happen to not be dressed for work prior to Caris waking up, she loves to come pick out my clothes. Just this morning she insisted I wear a top that I have gotten more compliments on.....


Funny girl.


And in a seemingly related note, as seen in her statement above, for some reason Caris has decided to call me 'MOM' most of the time. Not mommy, momma, or any other child endearment. But Mom. Seriously. As one of her teacher's said, Caris went straight from toddler stage to pre-teen. Sass for sure.

No comments: