Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thursday's Belated Edition

A little story about my lil C.

Monday morning, we arrive at Caris' school to discover, 'WOW' new work! A clearly excited Caris takes off to investigate. And what does she discover but a true love of her heart, a new baby. Joy and love is instantaneous. Caris takes the new baby and proclaims 'My baby my baby!' and sets of to comfort, rock, and dress baby. I am quick to remind Caris (as I spy little eyes closing in) that this baby is the school's baby and must be shared.

On pick-up, there is my sweet girl once again excitedly showing me her new found joy. 'My baby' is adored. And with some convincing, she leaves baby in her little crib. 'Baby stays at school' I remind her. And so we set off for home. Leaving baby for another day.

That evening, sitting with Poppa G at dinner, I coax Caris to tell us about her day. I try the normal questions, who did you play with, what did you do, what did you eat. Lil C indulges us with obligatory responses for a bit.

And then, she stands and proceeds to go into a lengthy and involved description. Mainly nonsensical to us, it was clear her little speech was full of information we could not glean. She was purposeful and direct and animated. Looking at us and talking along, knowing we could understand.

With her soliloquy drawing to a close, Caris looks at her Daddy straight in the eyes. One hand perched on her hip, the other raised up at her side, hand in the air. Serious, she was indeed, expressed through her eyes and tone. She begins shaking her head and says clear as day:

'But Daddy, you can't take that Baby home.'

You think she heard that a few times that day? And don't you know she had been thinking of that baby all evening?

Again, not sure if I can quite do this poetic justice. But I seriously laughed about this ALL evening. I mean, girl was downright focused.

'You CAN'T take that baby home'

2 comments:

tarawhite said...

This story makes me laugh and cry! I wish she could take the baby home....I know how she loves them. However, also know she has lots of home babies to play with! Good thing, or else I would have to go to the school and accidentally slip that baby in my purse so she could have her. But proud of her for learning :)

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I can picture it! So cute!