She now takes her comb when I brush her hair and proceeds to brush her own hair. She will not let me take over the task once she begins.

The same with brushing her teeth (or really tooth + .5). Her hair brush has also now become a tooth brush.This particular task she takes over with even more gusto. Not allowing me to remove her new tools from her hand for obscene amounts of time.
And along with these acts of self grooming and the adorably ensued demonstration of pride by our litte one, there is self determination.
And by self determination, I mean fits.
The 'I-do-not-want-you-to-remove-that-object (paper)- from-my-hand-I-had-that-(paper)-in MY-hand! Do-NOT-force-me-in-my-jammies-or-carseat-I-am-not-ready-for-that!' fits that incorporate back arching and screaming.
I will add that we had an OVERTIRED baby on our hands last two weeks, so the little fits were no doubt exacerbated by fatigue.
And will also add that for the most part, they last for a mere few seconds. We have been working hard to work through her frustrations and she is doing much better.
But....we are still very much exerting independence.
I have much expected this phase. It is a natural phase of development, of course. But I expected it MUCH later. Like 18 months or so. Am I crazy? Could she really be going through this phase right now? From all that I have learned and heard from other moms, that is exactly what it seems like. Or is it something else?
Regardless, I think it is pretty darn cute to see our little girl washing her hands, brushing her teeth, and combing her hair. So big and so proud of her new skills.
Now if only I can focus her efforts to unload the dishwasher....we'd all be happy.

So big, lady.



2 comments:
I am laughing, laughing, laughing at this post. We know a little about independence in our house. May you always keeps your sense of humor and perspective. What an awesome lady you are raising!
Love it!This little one has quite the personality :) Looks like she is doing a pretty good job to me!
Love, love!
Auntie TJ
Post a Comment