Tuesday, February 9, 2010

To B...

A letter to my daughter....


Although in the title of this little venture, the punctuation is left open ended, I hope our journey 'To B...' is one with purpose and intent. I feel, at times, I am constantly trying to be something. I do believe that who we are morphs as our journey takes us to new places, but I want to fully embracing the 'Being'. The imperfections, ambitions, failures, successes all make up who we are. And like or love it or not, that is our 'To B'. As parents, there is often talk of what children 'will BE one day'. I hope that we are not defined by what we will one day be, but for who we are in the present. And thus the letter to my daughter...


Caris, I want you to know that you already ARE. You are a beautiful creation. No matter where your journey takes you, I want you to know that. You are a daughter of the Creator Himself, loved by your parents for who you are RIGHT NOW, the little girl you are becoming, the teenage who will share our home, and the young lady who will come into her own.


You may become many things. A student, a friend, a mother, a wife, a sister, and whatever else you fancy. You may be quirky, sweet, funny, awkward, beautiful, spirited, and gracious. You may have great successes. You may have some failures. You may wish for things that are not to be.


But I want you to know that those things do not define you. Yes, they will be part of your story, part of the fabric that makes up your life experience. No matter what nature these pieces reveal, I want you to know that you already ARE.


My prayer for you is that you are able to see this. And in doing so, embrace the beauty that you uniquely hold. You are created. You have life. Right now. As a tiny baby, you are already so much.


You are You.


Caris Elizabeth - Your first name means 'Grace' and shares the origin for 'Caring' and your middle claims that you are 'Consecrated to God'. This meaning holds a promise. That you are one of God's children. Saved by His grace.


And who you are in Him is BEAUTIFUL.


And my promise to you, Caris, is that along your journey I will be there. I will try teach you virtues and instill values. Encouraging the development of your unique character. I will share in your experiences, good or bad. I will support you in your dreams, if they come true or not. And along the way, I promise to always remind you to embrace who you are. And to love that girl for who she IS.


With Love...

3 comments:

Graham and Storey said...

that little girl is unbelievably blessed to have you (both) as her parents... sweet words!

Sarah said...

So this post has really stuck with me. I have thought about several times while looking at my little babies. I especially like these words, "As a tiny baby, you are already so much." "I want you to know that you already ARE." and "I promise to always remind you to embrace who you are."

Aren't we privelaged to be entrusted with these little lives?

Sarah

C and G said...

Thanks ladies :)
We are very privileged indeed to have such sweet little ones in our care.

camille